Saturday, May 9, 2009

Early Mother's Day Gift

My sister called me up the other night. Now, with her being eighteen with a boyfriend, a job, and an impending high school graduation, she is usually too busy to spare time for her big sister these days. So, it is pretty rare that she calls me just out of the blue. I get a little bummed about it, but I'm glad that she seems to be happy. (You should see the boyfriend in question. The guy has dimples that would make any girl melt!)

Anyway, so she called the other night, telling me right off, "You are going to celebrate Mother's Day on Saturday. Mamaw (We were more or less raised by our grandparents, God bless them.) and I are going to each take one of the kids so that you can go out and do whatever you want for a few hours."

As you can imagine, with a very active three year old and a new baby, the hubby and I haven't gotten much time to do anything together but eat and sleep. So, this was a very endearing offer. In fact, I went to sleep last night all sorts of excited.

I woke up this morning just as excited as Kieradyn was. (She loves her Aunt Mindy, who doesn't mind spoiling her rotten with taking her places and buying her cute clothes.)I got the kids ready and pulled out the make up that has barely seen the light of day since Gideon came home. (All this despite my husband's chuckling. "We're going to a movie. It's going to be DARK..." Men.)

All in all, it was pretty nice. We saw the new Star Trek movie, which I would recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. I'm not a die hard Star Trek fan or anything, but I genuinely enjoyed it. Then, when we went to pick up the kids, we were regaled with tales of what they'd done.

Kieradyn had a busy day of swimsuit and purse shopping, followed up by a visit to the KidsCommons-- home of the giant toilet slide once featured by Jay Leno. ( http://www.kidscommons.org )

It was a nice break from what's become our usual routine. In case I don't get around to posting tomorrow, I hope that all of you other moms have a great Mother's Day!

P.S. Baby Gideon rolled over for the first time today. Now he won't stop! He gets a huge grin whenever we make a big deal out of it and cheer him on.

1 comment:

  1. Boy can I have your sister haha Mine lives to far to do that for me. So me and my husband take the kids with us everywhere we go.

    ReplyDelete